headerText

Me and My Selves: August. Lola. Charlie. Margot.

Logo Header

Jul 11, 2014

No Time Turkey Kielbasa Cabbage



Prelude
I needed to make dinner one evening, and realized it was time to go shopping for the week. Too tired to do a full length trip, I decided to get something for that evening, and finish shopping the next morning. The meal I needed to prepare had to meet the following criteria:


Quick shopping trip
Cheap shopping trip
Minimal preparation
Minimal cook time
Delicious
Multiple servings
Not terribly unhealthy

I needed some inspiration, but I knew one thing, that I wanted to use turkey polska kielbasa.  I had been buying it recently (after a sample day at the grocery store). I found a recipe using cabbage with regular kielbasa and created my own variation based on the criteria I set for the meal. 

Here's What You'll Need
Olive Oil
Head of Cabbage, small
Frozen Bell Pepper and Onion Medley, 1 bag (14.4 oz)
Turkey Polska Kielbasa, 13 oz fully cooked package, sliced
Black Pepper, to taste
Onion Powder, to taste
Garlic Powder, to taste
Apple Cider Vinegar, 2-1/2 tablespoons
Water, 1/2 cup

Heat deep skillet, lightly oiled, on medium-high heat.
Add shredded cabbage, frozen peppers and onions. 

Stir until cabbage begins to wilt. 

Turn down heat to medium-low and cover. 




Heat a separate pan or cast iron skillet, moderately oiled, on high heat. 
Add sliced kielbasa and sear meat on both sides. Remember, sausage is already fully cooked.

Reduce heat under kielbasa.

Uncover cabbage and peppers. 
Add pepper, garlic, onion, apple cider vinegar and stir. 

Add kielbasa and water. 
Cover and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.



This recipe is meant to be a quick meal for a busy day. Using garlic and onion powder can save time when cooking while still adding flavor to the dish. I usually always have seasonings on hand, but fresh vegetables come and go. When in a hurry, I reach for seasonings. When I have actual time to cook, I tend to reach for fresh garlic cloves, fresh onions and etc.. 

This meal was devoured with a quickness. My husband Byron loved it, so I know it qualifies for a repeat performance. I don't eat sausage often at all, but I like the turkey kielbasa mixed in with cabbage. 

This whole meal was inexpensive, as I only had to purchase the meat, the cabbage and the frozen peppers. I got Hillshire Farms Turkey Polska Kielbasa for $3.50, the head of cabbage for about $1.00, and I bought the bag of peppers for around $1.50. The meal totaled to be around $6.00 for me not including the ingredients I already had at home. Not bad at all. I was very pleased. Tis' all for now.

Z


No comments:

Post a Comment